Have you ever bought a new bronzer, applied it all over your face, and ended up looking like a mess? If so, you’re not alone. Many people have had this same experience and it can be enough to turn them off from bronzers altogether. But there’s good news! Applying bronzer doesn’t have to be difficult, and if you follow a few simple tips, you can get that gorgeous sun-kissed glow. So if you’re ready to rock that flawless bronzy look, here’s how to apply bronzer the right way.
Table of Contents
First Things First: Bronzer Formulas
If you want to learn how to apply bronzer properly, you first need to choose a formula that is best suited for your skin type. Generally, you should steer clear of shimmery bronzers in favor of a matte or satin finish. Not only does it look more natural, but a matte bronzer will help you play up your features to achieve a warm glow.
The next important thing is the shade, and while the market is filled with hundreds of products, there is no one-size-fits-all shade when it comes to a bronzer. To choose the perfect shade, you need to assess your skin tone and remember to never get a bronzer more than 2 shades darker than your own skin color. While it may seem tempting to select a dark chocolate shade on a pasty white complexion to make your face look sculpted and glowing, you will only end up looking muddy and unnatural.
How To Apply Bronzer With Your Fingers
… Just Kidding, Fingers Won’t Work Here. Once you have chosen the right bronzer for your skin, there is one last step before you can start swiping it on your face, and that is choosing the right bronzer applicator. For powder contours AKA bronzers, it is best to opt for a fluffy angled brush instead of a densely bristled brush. It will help the application process in two ways:
- First, the fluffy bristles help to distribute a light layer of the product rather than packing it in.
- Second, the angled tip is great to add definition to your cheeks and nose.
How To Apply Bronzer Step By Step
Once you have everything you need, you can begin the fun part! Here are some tips and tricks to make applying bronzer a breeze, and hopefully, when you follow these, you will fall in love with bronzers all over again!
Here’s how to apply bronzer the right way – without looking dirty, muddy, or orange.
How To Apply Bronzer If You Are Using A Powder Product
- Dip your angled brush in the powder, swirl it around a few times and then dust off the excess. This step helps remove some of the extra product so that you don’t put a lot of powder on your face.
- Move the brush in small circles, and apply the product near your hairline and the temples, to define and warm up your forehead.
- Next, apply some more powder and start working on your cheeks. While using the same concentric circular motion, swipe the product under both cheekbones and really blend it out.
- Finally, take your brush and use it to carve your jawline by adding the product to the base of your jawline and the chin.
- Once you are done with the basics, you can take this one step further and define your nose. To contour the nose, use the same brush and dust off the excess really well, then swipe it down your nose on either side of the nasal bridge to get a soft-focused look.
The goal of bronzing is to create a 3-dimensional effect on your face, starting from your hairline, then moving to your cheeks, and ending at your jaw. If you want a softer look with more of a glow, skip the forehead and apply some highlighter on your brow bone and nose bridge instead.
How To Apply Bronzer If You’re Using A Cream Product
When using cream bronzers, I recommend avoiding your bottom jawline to avoid any mess on your clothes. For best results, pair your bronzer with a little bit of cream highlighter on the highest parts of your face. This creates depth and accentuates your features.
And there you have it! Here’s how to apply bronzer to make your skin glow and achieve that perfect sun-kissed look. I hope you enjoyed reading this and if you want more beauty & makeup tips, just scroll down below!